County Final 1956 – Report

September 1st 1956

Rain Stopped Play

Turloughmore 3 - 2 Ardrahan 1 - 2

A cloudburst had hit Balinasloe and caused the water to lodge on the pitch to a dept of three or four inches. This was the scene in Duggan Park Balinasloe for the County Senior Hurling Final between Turloughmore and Ardrahan.

It’s as familiar a phrase to Cricket as it is unfamiliar to hurling. Yet that was the position and those are the only words one can use to describe the ending of the Co. Hurling final at Duggan Park, Ballinasloe.

It was just as if all the firemen in the county each supplied with a hose, were given helicoptors over the grounds and told to play the water on this lively pitch. Down came the rain in cats and dogs and it was as if the field was made of concrete. Not a drop seemed to eke through the earth. It lodged to three or four inches deep. A cloud burst had hit the town by the suck.

For Turloughmore leading 3 - 2 to 1 - 2 it was a disaster. To Ardrahan it was manna from Heaven. The match was cancelled and the outcome awaited another day.

Turloughmore: Peter Costello, Tommy Conway, Pakie Burke, Michael Joe Badger, Jimmy Egan, Paddy Fahy, Frank Fahy, Bobbie Gardiner, Mickey Cullinane, Tommie Egan, Larry Doyle, Jackie Gill, Joe Rabbitte, Billy Conway, Johnny Burke.

Subs: Danny Monaghan for Larry Doyle

Ardrahan: K. McNicholos, P. Diviney, T. Tarpey, P. Stanford, F. Fahy, E. Quinn T. Moylan, M. Hehir, P. Murphy, J. Linnane, M. Tarpey, J. Larkin, M. McInerney, M. Sheehan

Subs: T. Cunningham for Sheehan, E. Connole for Stanford, J. Gardiner for Connole.


After many entertaining games, the Co. Championship ended in an anti-climax. Turloughmore, who were beaten by Balinasloe (2 - 13 to 3 - 5 ) in the first round of the cup, won the losers Division and qualified for the semi-final.

In that game they met Ballinasloe once again, but this time reversed the position. In the loser’s division they had they had beaten Carnmore while Ballinasloe had also disposed of Liam Mellows.

On the other side Ardrahan caused a major surprise at Clarinbridge towards the end of June when they trounced the champions, Castlegar by a score of 4 - 8 to 1 - 5. They met Maree in the semi-final and after a dull game they qualified for the final with a narrow margin to spare.

In the meantime Balinasloe had objected to Turloughmore being awarded the semi-final game. The objection was withdrawn and the final fixed for Balinasloe on August 26th.

A downpour flooded the pitch and nearing half time, referee Mr. Mick Quaine, called off the match with Turloughmore leading by 3 - 2 to 1 - 2.

Stalemate was reached in the Co. Board when the refixing of the game was discussed, but Ardrahan eventually agreed to play the match in Athenry.

The refixture which was marred by incidents, ended in a draw. Ardrahan were unable to field a team for the refixture and at the Co. Board meeting the cup was awarded to Turloughmore.


Ardrahan 2 – 3  Turloughmore 0 - 9

This thrilling County senior hurling final at Athenry proved that there are no certainties when it comes to the championship. This game had everything, the atmosphere was electric, and at times the players got a little out of control, which resulted in four players being sent to the line. There were also some arguments at the interval but well wishers intervened and the second half got underway.

This produced more electric stuff with the Ardrahan bucks playing good hurling, but they found it very hard to match the elusive play of the splendid Mickey Cullinane.

Peter Costello stormed between the posts for Turloughmore, Pakie Burke was soundness itself at full back. Tommy Conway and Paddy Fahy were others to impress in defence. Mickey Cullinane was Turlough’s best player and got his best support up front from Bobbie Gardiner.


Turlough started the scoring with a Billy Conway point. Jackie Linnane and Larry Doyle exchanged points and Tommie Egan gave Turloughmore a two point lead. This lead was short lived as Ardrahan hit back with Hehir goal. Billy Conway leveled the scores with a well taken point before half time. After the interval Bobbie Gardiner pointed for Turlough but Jackie Linnane levelled the score again for Ardrahan. Tom Cunningham pointed for Ardrahan after his introduction into the game. Mickey Cullinane added further points before Josie McInerney goaled for Ardrahan. The play was see-sawing when referee Quinn called it a day and again players and supporters had to wait for another encounter to decide the Senior Hurling final of 1956.

November 16th “meeting in Athenry” The question of the Co. final replay fixed for November 4th and which did not take place was discussed. A letter from Ardrahan dated 19th November was read in which it was stated that Ardrahan were unable to field a team on November 4th due to the fact that 6 of their players would not be available. The letter suggested as an alternative that the match might be played during the Christmas holidays when they could be able to field a team.

  1. Naughton pressed that the rules be adhered to as Ardrahan had already been obliged, by a postponement. The secretary stated that both teams got the usual ten days notice that the game was fixed for Nov 4th and after further discussion, the Championship was awarded to Turloughmore. The Rev. Chairman of the Galway County Board congratulated Turloughmore saying it was a nice thing to see the championship going to the North.
Posted in County Final.