County Final 1962

County Final Saturday September 15th, 1962

Turloughmore 2 – 9   Castlegar 2 – 9

Turloughmore and Castlegar drew in the county final - A hurling thriller on a slippery sod and pelting rain in the Pearse stadium, Galway. The four thousand spectators got their moneys worth. Not only were they treated to a main course of sixty minutes, but extra time of eleven and a half minutes. That is a total of seventy and a half minutes of top class hurling, forty minutes in the extra time of the first half, Turloughmore scored two points and Castlegar scored three points. Castlegar had an advantage of one point. In extra time added on to the second half, Turloughmore scored one point, thereby cancelling out any advantage which either team might have gained by the playing of extra time.

The half time score was Castlegar 1 – 7 Turloughmore 1 – 3.

On the resumption of play, Turloughmore began to play like the title holders they were, which resulted in five points within minutes. Mickey Cullinane scored three and Michael Cullinane and Jackie Gill scored one each. Pat Shaughnessy of Castlegar retaliated with a goal in the eighteenth minute which was followed by a point but Michael Cullinane of Turloughmore equalised the match in the twenty-ninth minute, but Castlegar were not finished and came back to score a point in the last minute. Extra time of a minute and a half was added. Turloughmore took full advantage of extra ninety seconds with Michael Cullinane scoring the equaliser.

Full time score: Turloughmore 2 – 9 Castlegar 2 - 9.

County Final Replay September 30th 1962

Turloughmore 7 – 10   Castlegar 0 - 9

A record six thousand people attended the county Galway senior Hurling final replay between Turloughmore and Castlegar which was held at the Pearse Stadium, Galway. The fast fit Turloughmore team had little difficulty in defending their title against the slow and sluggish Castlegar team. It was a close played game in the first half with only two points separating the teams, Turloughmore having the upper hand. The half time score was Turloughmore 3 – 2 Castlegar 0 – 9.

Turloughmore gave a magnificent display in which they outplayed Castlegar in every sector of the field. Turloughmore’s left-half forward Mickey Cullinane gave a superb display. The first of his goals came in the third minute when he shot the ball from a very acute angle to the far side of the net. His second goal was sent into the net in the thirteenth minute. P.J. Qualter scored Turloughmore’s third goal of the first half in the nineteenth minute. Turloughmore’s goalie, Bobbie Madden played a great game and it is to his credit that Castlegar could only score points. It is hard to single out any of the Turloughmore defenders for praise.

Turloughmore scores: Mickey Cullinane (2 - 5), P.J. Qualter (3 -0), Seamus Murphy (1 - 1), Seamus Fallon (1 - 0), Paddy Fahy and Michael Cullinane (0 - 2) each.

Turloughmore: Bobby Madden, Paddy Langan, Pakie Burke, Paddy Caulfield, Alfie Glavin, Jackie Gill, Jimmy Egan, Seamus Fallon, Seamus Murphy, Frank Coffey, Paddy Fahy, Johnny Burke,       Mickey Cullinane, P.J. Qualter and Michael Cullinane.

Castlegar: E. Abberton, P. Kelly, T. Broderick, M. Wall, S. Francis, J. Corcoran, T. Collins, P. Shaughnessy, K. Shaughnessy, T. Egan, P. Egan, M. Commins, J.J. Egan, P. Nolan and J. Carr.

Subs. G. Egan for T. Egan and J. McGrath for J.J. Egan.

Referee: Mr. M.J. Flaherty (Ballinasloe).

Posted in County Final.